McDonough GA, NY, Rochester, South Carolina, Summerville
Posted 1 year ago
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
The Controller works under the supervision of the CFO. This position is a member of the Accounting team for the company and establishes financial controls by developing and implementing systems for collecting, analyzing, verifying, and reporting financial information. Supervises 3 direct reports: Accounts Payable Manager, Credit/Collections Manager and Staff Accountant, with indirect reports of 7 staff under the managers.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition for AmChar Wholesale, Inc.’s US locations, AmChar Caribe (Puerto Rico) and AmChar Canada.
- Assist with closing of month end (entries, reports, reconciliations, trial balance and variance to budget explanations to CFO).
- Prepares internal financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments.
- Assists the CFO/Corporate Financial Analyst with the monthly consolidated financials for the parent company
- Work with all levels of the AmChar entities (Purchasing, Sales, IT, Compliance & Warehouse) for resolution of any issues/improvements.
- Manage/evaluate the accounting team members, deal with all daily issues/problems.
- Manage all accounting staff in performing the following functions:
- Maintains and balances an automated system by inputting data; scheduling required jobs; verifying data.
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports, verifying information.
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files, reconciling accounts.
- Prepares general ledger account reconciliations and maintains supporting schedules
- Prepares payments by accruing expenses; assigning account numbers; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts
- Handles the banking transactions of the company
- Work with the Credit/Collections Manager to resolve/bring attention to credit requests or issues with management (lower and upper) when necessary, work with customers for getting financial reports for review when significant credit increase has been requested. Prepare analysis for CFO review, make final recommendations from that analysis
- Work with Accounts Payable Manager to maintain proper vendor relations in a timely manner, ensuring all payment terms and vendor discounts are taken, vendor credit limits meet the entities’ requirements, vendor requests are fulfilled and new vendor requests from the Purchasing Team are completed.
- Manages the completion of requirements for the company’s financial audits, the credit facility lender, inventory appraisal and external accountants
- Manages the completion of weekly forecasts for company’s cash availability and line of credit availability relating to receivables and inventory.
- Manages the completion of requirements for the company’s corporate tax filings
- Ensures compliance with applicable sales tax, property tax and company annual filings as required to state and local agencies
- Coordinates with Corporate Human Resources Manager to ensure weekly payroll for the company’s employees is generated, reviewed and approved in a timely manner by the 12 Noon ET Wednesday deadline.
- Coordinates the company’s benefits programs and human resources requirements with the Corporate Human Resources Manager
- Work closely with insurance company for proper company coverage.
- Assists the CFO/Corporate Financial Analyst with accounting financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Create/establish Standard of Operations (SOP’s) documentation as needed.
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures, recommending changes.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Maintains accounting controls by establishing a chart of accounts, defining accounting policies and procedures, and establishing internal controls.
- Guides other departments by researching and interpreting accounting policy, applying observations and recommendations to operational issues.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Coordinate with company outside counsel any of the AmChar companies concerns for resolution.
- Assists Corporate Human Resource Manager with employee matters (hiring, terminations, training, benefits, programs, etc.).
- Project work from CFO, COO & CEO as directed.
- Project manage as necessary projects (create and implement project plans).
- Ad hoc duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualification:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, regulatory standards, and compliance requirements
- Proficiency in MS Office, including the ability to operate computerized accounting, specifically Microsoft Dynamics – GP and spreadsheet programs
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail, and confidentiality
- Excellent data entry and math skills
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Effective verbal, listening, and written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress, and time management skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL – Quality and organization are of utmost importance.
- Must work well in a team environment and maintain good communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with times of high stress and volume.
- Ability to use good judgment and logic.
- Good punctuality and attendance.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Mature attitude.
- Pride in work.
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible.
- Must pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
- Regularly spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
- Regularly move from sitting to standing positions effortlessly
- Regularly spend long hours in intense concentration reviewing and entering financial information into a computer
- Regularly use hands and fingers to handle, control, or feel objects
- Regularly see details of objects that are less than a few feet away
- Regularly speak clearly so listeners can understand
- Regularly understand the speech of another person
- Frequently work in on projects that require deadlines
- Frequently bend to file and maintain files
- Occasionally lift 5-10 pounds
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting/Finance
- CPA with minimum 4 years’ prior experience in public accounting is preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ prior experience in a FP&A role including budgeting and forecasting is preferred
- Corporate consolidation financial reporting experience is preferred
- Experience working in wholesale distribution company
- Experience managing multiple companies
- Experience with international companies
- Defined accomplishment of automation, streamlining processes, and moving to a paperless workflow
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains
- Experience with fast paced growth companies led by an entrepreneur
- Experience with closely held/managed companies