POSITION: Accounting Assistant
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
The Accounting Assistant works under the supervision of the Accounting Manager and is a member of the Accounting team for the company. In this position, the Accounting Assistant will keep financial records, update and prepare reports, as well as process business transactions like accounts payable, accounts receivable, disbursements, expense vouchers, and receipts. A successful accounting assistant should be familiar with all accounting procedures and have a flair for numbers. Ultimately, a successful Accounting Assistant will help ensure the company’s daily accounting functions run accurately and effectively.
Essential Job Position Duties:
- Provide accounting and clerical support to the Accounting Department,
- Type accurately, prepare, and maintain accounting documents and records,
- Maintain accounting records by making copies and filing documents,
- Enter key data of financial transactions in accounting system daily.
- Provide assistance and support to company personnel.
- Research, track, and report accounting or documentation problems and discrepancies.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- E-Mail / mail invoices.
- Cash receipts for lock box, ACH’s, wires, and checks.
- E-mail / mail statements to customers at the first of each month.
- Match up invoices with outgoing checks / check stubs and mail checks.
- Do research for any issues that may arise during the day.
- Assist with audits.
- Responsible for performing clerical and administrative duties in an office setting.
- Assist other personnel by sorting mail, filing, answering phones, greeting clients, scheduling meetings, and restocking supplies.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Must be proficient in all areas of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), including the ability to operate computerized accounting, specifically Microsoft Dynamics – GP and spreadsheet programs.
- Attention to detail – High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality – Quality and organization are of the utmost importance.
- Shows a high level of accountability for product, performance and personal responsibility.
- Ability to use good judgment and logic in the performance of duties
- Effective verbal, listening, and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with times of high stress and volume.
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Good punctuality and attendance.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility
- Mature attitude.
- Pride in work.
- Willingness to work overtime / Saturdays (if needed).
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible.
- Must pass a background check and pre-employment drug screen
Physical demands and abilities
- Must be willing to regularly sit at a desk, in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regularly move from sitting to standing positions effortlessly
- Regularly spend long hours in intense concentration reviewing and entering financial information into a computer
- Regularly use hands and fingers to handle, control, or feel objects
- Frequently work on projects that require deadlines
- Frequently bend to file and maintain files
- Occasionally lift 5-10 pounds
Experience and Education:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- College students welcome to apply (Business and/or Finance courses)